The first step to getting started with LiveOnline@UT (Zoom) is to activate your Zoom account. Next, setup the desktop application (or, use the web interface) and you’re ready to start Zooming!
The following information will help you prepare for using the online classroom application.
Activate your LiveOnline@UT (Zoom) account:
- Be sure to activate your LiveOnline@UT (Zoom) account on our Zoom page. Click the icon to Create or Edit Account, and log in with your NetID and password. A Zoom Basic account will be provisioned for you.
- If you are an instructor, do you need a Zoom Pro level account? All new accounts will start at the Zoom Basic account level. If you need a Zoom Pro level account, contact us at 865-974-9900 or contact the OIT HelpDesk online. Details about the Zoom Basic and Zoom Pro accounts are listed below.
Zoom Basic Accounts – users may host unlimited meetings of 40 minutes in duration with up to 100 participants.
Zoom Pro Accounts – users may host unlimited meetings with unlimited duration with up to 100 participants.
Set up the Zoom Desktop Application:
You may choose to use the web interface by logging into our Zoom page (select “Create or Edit Account” to login), or, use the Zoom desktop application to schedule and lead meetings. To setup the desktop application, please follow the steps below.
- Download and install the Zoom application (A download link is available on our Zoom page).
- Click the Zoom icon on the desktop
- Select Sign In
- Select Sign In with SSO (PC) or Login with SSO (Mac)
- Enter the word tennessee (lower case) to complete the domain name of tennessee.zoom.us. (The zoom.us part of the domain may be provided for you on the screen.)
- Select Continue
- Log in with your NetID and password and follow the prompts on the screen to launch Zoom
The Quick Start Guides listed below describe the LiveOnline@UT (Zoom) online meeting environment from the instructor’s (leader’s) point of view.
Tools and Features
The guides below will help instructors and meeting leaders with managing the online environment, including navigating the toolbar, engaging tools, and creating and deploying Breakout Rooms.
Quick Guide to Managing Recordings
LiveOnline@UT (Zoom) online classroom recordings are in MP4 format and the MP4 will save to the local device. To share the MP4 with students, select a file storage and streaming option that best fits your needs.
It is not recommended that you upload large files directly to your Online@UT (Canvas) course site. There are several reasons for this, the most important of which is this: even once you successfully upload your large file into the course site, there’s no guarantee that your students will be able to download and view it via their Internet connections
There are several options for storing and streaming MP4s, and some are listed below with links to more information about each option.
- Canvas Studio – Canvas Studio is available to students and faculty via Online@UT (Canvas). In Canvas Studio, users may upload media files and then share the files through a Canvas course. Instructors may also incorporate real time comments from students, add captioning, and review analytics on media files. For more information on please visit our Canvas Studio page.
- YouTube – All UT faculty, staff, and students may engage a YouTube channel through Google Apps for Education. With this option, instructors may upload the MP4 to YouTube and also incorporate captioning of the audio with the MP4. After the MP4 is uploaded, instructors may paste a link to the MP4 into the Canvas site.
- Cloud Options – These options include Google Drive and Microsoft Office OneDrive for Business. In this scenario, the meeting leader may login to their Google Drive account, for example, and then upload the MP4. Next, generate a shareable link to the MP4 and then post that link into a Canvas site.
- Send the MP4 – UT offers faculty, staff, and students a secure, large-file courier option called Vault. With Vault, meeting leaders may upload a MP4 and then send a notification email to recipients that a file is available for download. Recipients click a link and log in to Vault to download the MP4.
If you have any questions about storing and streaming MP4s, please feel free to contact us and we are happy to help.