How to get started in Canvas
The Homepage is the entry point for your course. We suggest using the Syllabus as your Homepage because all of your graded course activities will be displayed there for your students. You can also provide a downloadable course syllabus and links to other course information on the Syllabus page.
- In this Course Layout: Customization video, you will learn how to customize your course, including your home page and course navigation.
- In this Syllabus Overview video, you will learn how to use the Syllabus in Canvas.
Create your course activities (tests, assignments, discussions, etc.) using Assignments. All assignments can be graded or ungraded, as well as submitted online or on paper. Assignments will be automatically displayed:
- In the Assignments list,
- On the Syllabus page,
- On the course Calendar.
- In this Assignments Overview video, you will get an overview of the Assignments index page, including Assignment groups and types.
- In this Assignment Creation video, you will learn the basics of creating an Assignment.
You can organize your course content into Modules by topic/unit/week. Modules are organized to either click on a certain page or to progress through using “next” and “previous” buttons.
- In this Modules: Creation and Management video you will learn how to create and manage Modules in your course.
UTK is transitioning from Blackboard to Canvas, and will retire Blackboard on May 31, 2017. The countdown has begun!
Students may find that some of their fall and spring semester courses are in Canvas, while others will be in Blackboard. Individual faculty have chosen which system to use during the transition, so be sure to double check with your faculty on which system your course will reside.
This support site will continue to grow and evolve, but for now, here is a set of quick guides that will provide you with all of the basics to get you started.
Getting Started with Canvas (For Students):
Canvas Student Tour (Duration is provided in parentheses):
- Canvas Overview (4:09)
- Assignments Overview (2:00)
- Assignment Submissions (2:56)
- Quizzes (4:02)
- Grades (2:43)
- Communication (3:43)
- Discussions (3:57)
- Calendar (2:33)
Getting Started with Canvas (For Faculty):
Canvas Faculty Tour (Duration is provided in parentheses):
- Canvas Tutorial Series for Faculty
- Canvas Interface Overview (3:56)
- Files – Add Course Content (3:09)
- Communication Overview (3:00)
- Assignments Overview (3:12)
- Assignment Creation (4:08)
- Discussion Creation (3:11)
- Quiz Creation – Settings (3:43)
- Quiz Creation – Questions (3:19)
- Announcements Overview (2:25)
- Pages – Creation and Management (3:00)
- Course Layout – Customization (3:04)
- Modules – Creation and Management (2:41)
- Grades Overview (2:52)
- SpeedGrader™ Overview (1:47)
- Group Creation and Management for Instructors (4:00)
- Course Import Tool (6:18)
- Calendar Overview (4:09)
- Syllabus Overview (2:46)
- Chat Overview (1:58)
- People Overview (3:46)
- Course Analytics (6:06)
- Conferences Overview (5:09)
- Collaborations Overview (2:56)