Get help with wired, wireless, and remote access to the internet, as well as research networks, VPN, and other university resources. The UT network spans the Knoxville campus and remote sites throughout the state.
Connect to the Wired Network
Use high-speed ethernet connections in campus libraries, academic buildings, computer labs, and residence halls.
Connect to Wireless Network
Get WiFi access in most academic and administrative buildings, and many outdoor areas.
Choose from two UT WiFi Networks (both require one-time registration):
- Eduroam is a secure, world-wide network developed for the educational community. Log in with your UT email and password for fast, secure WiFi at UTK and universities worldwide.
- Faculty and Staff Login: NetID@utk.edu
- Student Login: NetID@vols.utk.edu
- UT-Open is an unsecured network available to faculty, staff, students, and visitors.
Wide Area Network (WAN)
The Wide Area Network (WAN) provides internet access, research network connectivity (such as Internet2), remote office connectivity, and virtual private networks (VPN).
- Available in Knoxville, Oak Ridge, Nashville, and Agriculture Extension facilities across Tennessee
- High-speed networks connect UTK to research facilities in ORNL (including the Titan supercomputer) and Internet2 sites via Southern Crossroads.
- UTK is a member of the Internet2 Sponsored Education Group Participants (SEGP), a program that allows us to provide Internet2 resources to the UT Medical Center in Knoxville and to the Education Networks of America.
Working from a non-UT location? Securely connect to campus resources by using a virtual private network (VPN) client.
Knoxville Area, including UT Knoxville, UT System, Institute of Public Service, Institute of Agriculture, and Audiology and Speech Pathology.
Faculty, Staff, Students, and Departments (services may vary by location).
This service is available 24/7, except during scheduled and emergency maintenance. All efforts are made to perform maintenance on Wednesday night from 10pm to 2am. Wireless maintenance may be performed on Thursday from 6:00am to 8:00am or Sunday from 6:00am to noon.
Students in the Residence Hall
As part of the student housing fee, all university housing rooms include network access.
|Service Description||Cost of Standard Services||Cost of Subsidized Services|
|New circuit installation (one circuit= 2 network ports)||$280.00||$85.00|
|Physically moving wiring from one side of room to another||Time and Materials||Time and Materials|
|Remove cabling for existing location||Time and Materials||Time and Materials|
|Activation Request 10/100 Mb Port||$340.00||$105.00|
|Activation Request Gigabit Port||$340.00||$105.00|
|Activation Request 10 Gb Port||$340.00||$340.00|
|Move Port (Service Relocations)||$39.00|
|Monthly 10/100Mb Port Charge||$14.50||$4.00|
|Monthly Gigabit Port Charge||$14.50||$4.00|
|Monthly 10 Gigabit Port Charge||$33.80||$33.80|
Prices subject to change without notice.
- The subsidized pricing applies to select UTK academic and administrative cost centers. Non-UTK cost centers, auxiliaries, restricted funds (both sponsored and non-sponsored) and self-funded cost centers (beginning July 1, 2015) do not qualify for subsidized pricing. Please note that sponsored projects can only be direct billed for network and telephone costs if approved by sponsor.
- Gigabit and 10 Gigabit service may not be available in all locations.
- Port security exemption – one time fee of $50.00 and monthly reoccurring charge of $30.00
- WAN connectivity services are billed to the requesting department at cost, in addition to a small administrative fee. Please contact OIT Network Services for estimates.
- Remote Access services are offered at no additional cost.
- Individual access to wireless is available to Faculty, Staff and Students at no additional cost. For special wireless service or coverage, departments may contact OIT Network Services for an estimate.
Wireless (In General):
- The wireless network is based on IEEE 802.11 standards.
- This network is for students, faculty, staff, and visitors (sponsored and non-sponsored).
- All non-visitor machines on this network must be registered.
- Eduroam (short for education roaming) is the secure, world-wide roaming access service developed for the international research and education community; it is available in 55 countries and across the US.
- Eduroam is encrypted from the device all the way to the core of the network.
- Eduroam uses the following subnets:
Guest users from other institutions:
- All machines on this network will use Network Address Translation (NAT).
- No encryption is done over the air.
- Non-sponsored accounts are rate-limited.
- UT-open is NATed using the following subnets:
- External: 184.108.40.206.0/25
- Internal (registered): 10.128.0.0/14
- Internal (unregistered): 10.140.0.0/16
- Internal (guests): 10.140.0.0/16