This service tracks and maintains the Internet Protocol (IP) network address space for all devices used on the UTK campus network. To learn more or request this service, contact the OIT HelpDesk online or call 865-974-9900.
IP Names and Addresses
- Tracks and maintains the Internet Protocol (IP) network address space for all devices used on the UTK campus network.
- Supports both static and dynamic addresses for wired port devices.
- Supports dynamic addresses for all devices connected using wireless ports.
- Provides IP name and address lookup service using DNS.
- Provides IP name and address assignment service using DHCP.
Network Device Registration
Device network registration service can be provided automatically or manually for new devices using the OIT Network Registration service (NETREG).
- Devices with a web browser, such as computers, smartphones, and tablets, can be registered at support.utk.edu
- Devices without a web browser, such as an XBOX, Playstation, TV, and Blu-Ray player, can be registered at netreg.utk.edu/games.
Read more about registering a gaming, streaming, or media device in the OIT Knowledge Base.
All UT-owned devices must be classified according to the type of information that is stored or processed on it. Instructions for classification are available in the OIT Knowledge Base.
- Provides Top-Level IP CNAME records for DNS names such as [example].utk.edu and [example].tennessee.edu.
- Facilitates purchase of IP Domain names such as [example].com or [example].org.
- Provides IP Domain Name Transfers.
This service is available 24/7, except during scheduled and emergency maintenance. All efforts are made to perform maintenance on Wednesday night from 10:00 PM to 6:00 AM, and on Sunday from 12:00 AM to 12:00 PM.
DNS Entries and Domain Names
DNS entries are free; however, requests for non-utk.edu and non-tennessee.edu domain names are subject to the cost of the DNS name registrar (GoDaddy, Network Solutions, for instance). OIT does not charge any additional fees for obtaining other domain names. The requester is responsible for providing a charge account.
System administration contracts are billed at a rate of $2500 per year per server. The annual charge is billed at the beginning of each fiscal year and is prorated if acquired during the fiscal year.
- Level 1: The server, rack of servers, or VM is housed in a secured OIT facility which is environmentally controlled with appropriate cabling for network and storage access, and conditioned power. Escorted access is provided for access to physical servers, as is remote KVM access. System monitoring, database administration, and data backup are NOT provided. Level 1 hosting is managed entirely by the customer and as such, may include any software that the customer can support. Users experiencing problems can contact the Help Desk for service and the ticket will be routed to the appropriate customer contact.
- Level 2: Includes all Level 1 hosting services, plus system administration of supported operating systems, including operating system upgrades and operating system patches, as well as backup and recovery services. Such systems are typically made available for use 24×7. The customer is responsible for verifying that backups are complete and acceptable. System Administration Services are available during normal university business hours (8:00 AM – 5:00 PM) with scheduled periodic maintenance. Database provisioning and application administration are NOT included in Level 2 hosting.
- Level 3: Includes all of Level 2 hosting services, plus database and a pre-defined level of application administration.
- Level 4: Includes all Level 3 hosting services, plus off-hour emergency support. Hosted services in Level 4 are typically hosted on the OIT Flexpod hardware providing 24×7 datacenter redundancy and full system failover.Service levels beyond Level 1 must be negotiated with the OIT Associate CIO for Service Level Management.
Knoxville Area, including UT Knoxville, UT System, Institute of Public Service, and Institute of Agriculture.
Faculty, Staff, Students, Departments, and official campus organizations