A wide array of instructional services are available to faculty, staff, and students. Services include a Learning Management System (LMS), synchronous course delivery, technology-enhanced classrooms, personal response systems, and instructional video production and delivery.
- Canvas is a web-based LMS that is built on modern concepts of adaptability, accessibility, reliability, efficiency, and effectiveness.
- Instructors and students can create and interact with educational and collaborative content beyond the traditional classroom. Use Canvas to supplement to face-to-face classes, teach a hybrid course, or deliver an entirely online experience.
- Canvas is mobile-friendly, and is designed to make the most common tasks easier and faster, so that teaching and learning is accessible and enjoyable.
- Zoom is a web-based set of video-conferencing tools that is geared toward various online collaboration needs, such as synchronous online learning, online meetings, and webinars.
- All UT Knoxville faculty, staff, and students have access to Zoom. Non-UT participants may also attend a Zoom session.
- Account privileges differ between students and faculty/staff. Student accounts are limited to 40 minutes in duration, while faculty and staff accounts provide for unlimited duration meetings with the ability to record sessions. All sessions, regardless of account type, are limited to 50 participants.
Digital Media Services (DMS)
- Media services include digitizing course content for online, hybrid, and live classroom delivery and include text scanning, slide scanning and conversion and video digitization within copyright standards.
- Host and manage your video content in a single cloud-based storage solutions (powered by Panopto) and share it easily through your Canvas courses or websites.
Exam Scanning and Scoring Services (Akindi)
Using Akindi forms in your class? Find out where to get forms and answer sheets, how to submit completed forms, and how to ensure your forms are scored correctly. Akindi forms can be scored by the faculty member at any time. Note: OIT has ceased Scantron services as of August 15, 2019.
Lecture Recording (Panopto)
- Panopto’s cloud and desktop recording solutions allow faculty and staff to create, edit, review, and publish original video content directly from their computer, a web browser, or from the classroom. The Desktop recorder is ideal for capturing screencasts or PowerPoint presentations or complete lectures for on-demand delivery.
- Request a consultation on video production and best practices for recording, editing, and hosting your video content.
Online Productivity Suite of Tools
- Online productivity suites can be accessed from any internet-enabled device, allowing people to work together from anywhere and at any time, leading to effective collaboration and virtual teamwork.
- Online productivity suites available include G Suite for Education and Office 365.
- The Office 365 suite includes Office 365 Video channels.
Personal Response Systems (Clickers)
- A personal response system is a set of hardware and software that allows instructors to gather feedback, gauge understanding, and support collaboration among students. In addition, UT’s hybrid polling option provides secure, centralized, cloud-based management of courses, rosters and assessment data.
- Students respond to questions using handheld “clickers”, which send their responses to the instructor’s computer.
- Unversity of Tennessee, Knoxville campus-supported personal response system for classroom polling is Point Solutions (TurningClassic and TurningPro) by Turning (formally Turning Technologies).
Technology-Enhanced Classrooms (TEC)
Classroom Training and Support
Register for a workshop, request a one-on-one consultation, search for specific classroom features, and view or download detailed step-by-step classroom user guides.
Report an Issue
If you notice any issue with the classroom but do not need immediate assistance, i.e., you used the last set of batteries and want more delivered to the room, contact the OIT HelpDesk online or by phone at 865-974-9900.
If you are in the classroom and require immediate assistance
If the problem cannot be fixed over the phone an OIT Engineering Services Specialist will be dispatched and should arrive in your classroom within ten minutes.
If you’re interested in live streaming or recording an upcoming event, contact OIT.