A wide array of instructional services are available to faculty, staff and students. Services include a Learning Management System (LMS), synchronous course delivery, technology enhanced classrooms, personal response systems, and instructional video production and delivery.
- Canvas is a web-based LMS that is built on modern concepts of adaptability, accessibility, reliability, efficiency, and effectiveness.
- Instructors and students can create and interact with educational and collaborative content beyond the traditional classroom. Use Canvas to supplement to face-to-face classes, teach a hybrid course, or deliver an entirely online experience.
- Canvas is mobile-friendly, and is designed to make the most common tasks easier and faster, so that teaching and learning is accessible and enjoyable.
- Zoom is a web-based set of video-conferencing tools that is geared toward various online collaboration needs, such as synchronous online learning, online meetings, and webinars.
- All UT Knoxville faculty, staff, and students have access to Zoom. Non-UT participants may also attend a Zoom session.
- Account privileges differ between students and faculty/staff. Student accounts are limited to 40 minutes in duration, while faculty and staff accounts provide for unlimited duration meetings with the ability to record sessions. All sessions, regardless of account type, are limited to 50 participants.
Digital Media Services (DMS)
- DMS provides text scanning and video clip digitization within copyright standards.
- My Mediasite and Mediasite Desktop recorder allow faculty to create and publish original video content directly from their computer to an OIT server. The Desktop recorder is ideal for capturing screencasts or PowerPoint presentations for on-demand delivery.
- Instructional video production provides full service, high-quality, instructional video recording, editing, and delivery.
Online Productivity Suite of Tools
- Online productivity suites can be accessed from any internet-enabled device, allowing people to work together from anywhere and at any time, leading to effective collaboration and virtual teamwork.
- Online productivity suites available include G Suite for Education and Office 365.
- The Office 365 suite includes Office 365 Video channels.
Technology-Enhanced Classrooms (TEC)
Report an Issue
Training and Support
Register for a workshop, request a one-on-one consultation, search for specific classroom features, download SMART software, and read user guides.
Personal Response Systems (Clickers)
- A personal response system is a set of hardware and software that allows instructors to gather feedback, gauge understanding, and support collaboration among students.
- Students respond to questions using handheld “clickers”, which send their responses to the instructor’s computer.
- UT Knoxville uses the TurningPoint Cloud system, a hybrid polling option that provides secure, centralized, cloud-based management of courses, rosters and assessment data.
Check out equipment from OIT to produce online mini-lectures, create video-based course overviews, convey challenging concepts, or post annotated test explanations.
Exam Scanning and Scoring Services (Scantron or Akindi)
Using Scantron or Akindi forms in your class? Find out where to get forms and answer sheets, how to submit completed forms, and how to ensure your forms are scored correctly. Scantron forms will be scored within one working day of dropoff. Akindi forms can be scored by the faculty member at any time.
If you’re interested in live streaming or recording an upcoming event, contact OIT.