Zoom, Zoom, Zoom… UTK is Zooming!
Do you have the need for high quality video conferencing and screen/application sharing in your online or blended class? If you are currently using tools like Adobe Connect, Skype, or GoToMeeting for administrative purposes, you might be interested in Zoom. We encourage you to use Zoom for both instructional and administrative meetings.
Zoom, a cloud-based technology, allows faculty, staff, and students to have high-quality interaction in real time from their computers and mobile devices. Zoom’s web-based conferencing uses high-quality video and audio and is accessible on MacOS, Windows, iOS, and Android mobile devices. Zoom also includes telephone bridging (not toll free), so you can bring in participants via telephone as well. The Zoom recording feature will allow you to save a session for future reference and/or send it to those who are unable to attend.
Access is available for all UTK faculty, staff and students. All new accounts will default to a Zoom Basic account. A Zoom Basic account allows users to host unlimited meetings of 40 minutes in duration with up to 300 participants.
UTK faculty and staff may request a Zoom Pro account. Zoom Pro accounts allow users to host unlimited meetings with unlimited duration with up to 300 participants. To request a Zoom Pro account, please complete the steps outlined in the Getting Started section below and then contact us at help.utk.edu with your request to upgrade your account to the Zoom Pro level.
If you need to host more than 300 participants, we can provide you with an expanded license. Please contact us at help.utk.edu to request an expanded license account.
The following steps will get you Zooming in no time.
- Go to tennessee.zoom.us.
- Click on the Create or Edit Account button.
- Login with your UT NetID and NetID Password.
- A Zoom Basic account will be provisioned for you. (Faculty and staff may request a Zoom Pro account. To request a Zoom Pro account, please complete steps above and then submit a ticket online at help.utk.edu.)
You may choose to use the Web Browser version of Zoom, or we suggest that you download the Zoom Desktop Application. Simply click on the Download Zoom link found at the bottom of the page at tennessee.zoom.us.
The first time you login using the Desktop application, you will be prompted to enter the SSO information. You will only need to do this once. Please complete the following steps.
- Select the Zoom desktop icon (Or, select Zoom from the Programs or Applications list).
- Select Sign In and then Sign In with SSO (PC) or Log In with SSO (Mac).
- In the field provided on the screen, enter the word tennessee (lower case). The remainder of the domain may already be provided for you (.zoom.us).
- Select Continue to save the entry and advance to the next step.
- When prompted, log in with your NetID user name and password.
You’re ready to start Zooming!
We are updating our Knowledge Base as well as our support information. Stay tuned… more to come soon!