BEFORE THE QUIZ
- Basic computer specifications: Read the minimum technological requirements needed for Canvas.
- Browser check: Do a browser check for Canvas. The Office of Information Technology recommends Firefox or Google Chrome browsers for the best user experience.
- Disable pop-up blockers: Pop-up blockers may interfere with the normal functioning of Canvas. If you have pop-up blockers, you must disable them.
- Internet connection: It is strongly recommended that you use a hard-wired connection plugged directly into your computer instead of a wireless connection when taking quiz. A wireless connection will work but is NOT recommended because small fluctuations in your internet connectivity may interfere with the exam. If needed, move to another computer that has a wired internet connection (instead of a wireless connection).
- Use the right device: While Canvas is functional on mobile devices, using them does not offer the same level of reliability or security as provided by a desktop or a laptop computer. We strongly recommend that you complete any assignment, test, or quiz on a more stable internet connection with a desktop or laptop.
- Close all windows and applications: Only open the Canvas quiz browser window. Do not have any other browser windows or programs open while taking quizzes. Other programs and browsers can interfere with your Canvas quiz. Do not leave the quiz page while taking the quiz (for example, to view course materials or another Web site). Do not close the browser window while taking the quiz.
- Mind the “Available Until” date! The available until date is the point when you can be longer be taking a quiz. Some quizzes may not have availability dates, but if they do and you’re in the middle of a quiz when the availability date arrives, the quiz will force-submit and you won’t get to finish. (This is different from the due date—if you submit a quiz after the due date, your submission will be marked late). Make sure you leave yourself enough time to finish and submit your quiz before the “available until” date (and preferably also before the due date!).
DURING THE QUIZ
- Open quiz: Open the quiz by clicking on the quiz name. Take note of the Due Date, Points, Questions, Time Limit, and Instructions.
- Start quiz: Click the Take the Quiz button to start the quiz.
- Take quiz: DO NOT navigate away from or close the quiz window. Do not use any browser navigation buttons (i.e., Back, Forward, Home, etc). Select your answers and click Next if one question at a time is displayed.
- The question list on the sidebar is your friend: If you get bumped out in the middle of the quiz, you can go back in and resume it, but it will send you back to the beginning. However, you can find your way back to the question you were on by checking the question list above the timer on the sidebar. If you remember the question number, simply scroll down to it and click on it. If you don’t, no worries! A checkmark next to the question means you answered it, so simply scroll down to the first question without a checkmark.
- Watch the timer: If this is a timed quiz, keep track of the timer. You will get a warning when you have 1 minute remaining in your quiz time. While you can exit a Canvas quiz and come back to it later to find most of your answers still there (excluding incomplete Text Entry), you have to be aware of this feature on a timed quiz. The timer will continue running while you’re gone, and the quiz will auto-submit when time runs out.
- Submit quiz: Click Submit Quiz only when you are done to save and submit answers. Do not click Submit Quiz until you have completed the quiz.
- Contact Your Instructor: If you accidentally quit the quiz, lose power, or close your browser – or something else causes you to stop taking the quiz before you submit it – contact your instructor immediately to get instructions. Make sure to include details as to what caused the problem.
- Contact OIT: Contact the OIT HelpDesk to report a problem.
- Detail the issue: Take note of all the details as to what caused the problem. Take a screenshot if possible (Windows Instructions – Apple Mac Instructions).