Camtasia is screen recording and editing software developed by TechSmith. With Camtasia, you can create instructional video that includes digital recording of actions on a computer screen (e.g., browsing a website, entering data into a spreadsheet, and typing in a Word document), presentation slides, graphics, audio, and video clips. Video may be exported for sharing online on a Canvas site, iTunes U, YouTube, or a college web server.
What you can do with Camtasia
- Demonstrate how to use an application
- Provide a tour of a course website
- Give an overview of a course syllabus
- Create an online, multimedia-rich presentation
- Present a case study
Check the educational price at the TechSmith website or contact the UT VolShop for a quote (Phone: 865-974-2930). A free 30-day trial version is available for download.
- Download and install the Camtasia free trial to explore the software and see if it’s the right tool for you. Before installation, review the system requirements on the download page.
- Walk through self-paced online learning tutorials:
- Camtasia Tutorials, TechSmith’s tutorials for both Camtasia 9 for Windows and Camtasia 3 for Mac.
- LinkedIn Learning — search Camtasia tutorials in this UTK training video resource.
- Attend an OIT workshop on Camtasia. Visit the OIT Instructor-Focused Workshops page to view the schedule and to register. Request an individual consultation or group training on Camtasia when the workshop is not available; contact OIT HelpDesk, 865-974-9900.
Instructors may request OIT Help including consultations and development of course materials. For details, contact the OIT HelpDesk online or call 865-974-9900.
is a free TechSmith’s alternative to Camtasia with screen recording and capturing capability, but no editing functionality. Jing video recording is limited to 5 min.