Audacity is a free digital audio editor and recording application, available for both Windows and Mac operating systems. In addition to recording audio from multiple sources, Audacity can also be used for enhancing all types of audio, including podcasts, by adding effects such as trimming and fading in and out.
Instructors have found the following uses, and many more, for using Audacity in education:
- Record student assessments and presentations
- Record and deliver course content
- Record and deliver excerpts from textbooks, novels, and poetry
- Record and deliver instructions for lessons
- Record and deliver weekly announcements
- Use to assist students with hearing impairments
- Record sound for PowerPoint slides
- Audacity Video Tutorials, a series of brief video tutorials from the University of South Florida Educational Technology Clearinghouse.
- Audacity Manual, a comprehensive collection of help documentation.
- YouTube site provides Audacity video tutorials. Enter “Audacity tutorial” in the search box.
- Audacity Tutorial, a collection of Audacity-related tutorials on the web.
- Audacity Help Wiki website.
- Audacity in Education, a collaborative support website for educators.
- Techtorial (pdf), Education World.