Learning Tools, otherwise known as ‘apps’ are an easy way to add new features to Canvas. These learning tools expand and enhance the functionality of Canvas. Once configured, you can link to them through course modules and create assignments for assessment tools.
The list below contains all learning tools that have been approved at UTK for use in Online@UT (Canvas) course sites.
While there are many learning tools available, the list below represents those that UTK has worked with to ensure that no FERPA protected data is exposed to unsecured systems. Instructors are asked to be cautious regarding the use of learning tools in order to avoid being personally responsible for data that might be shared and misused in any manner.
If you would like to request a learning tool be evaluated for addition to this list, please submit a ticket for our Teaching, Learning, & Research service online or contact via phone at 865-974-9900.
Canvas supports the integration of external applications using the IMS LTI standard. When an external tool is launched, some student information may be passed along to the external tool provider. The LTI standard dictates the types of information passed and how they are passed. When integrating Canvas with external tools, all efforts are made to minimize the student data transferred and to vet the security practices of the tool vendor.
However, with the exception of official UTK OIT tools such as Office 365 and Google, most 3rd party LTI’s are not governed by UTK’s Office of Information Technology office. Although it is UTK’s policy to protect student privacy, please understand that UTK does not guarantee the privacy of information shared on external third party applications. Information you provide may be visible to others using this application. You are not required to provide personal information. By signing in and sharing information, you imply your understanding of potential privacy risks.
Before linking directly to a publisher on your class site, please be aware UTK is required to follow federal HEOA guidelines as well as our contract with VitalSource with regards to such links. Faculty are not allowed to place links on Canvas for the purpose of direct sales of textbooks and course materials to students.
CANVAS BUILT-IN INTEGRATIONS
- Attendance (Roll Call) – An external app used for taking attendance in Canvas courses.
- Canvas Commons – Learning object repository that enables educators to find, import, and share resources. Instructors can share with the entire Canvas Community, UTK-only, or by department.
- Canvas Data Portal – A service from Canvas that provides schools with optimized access to their data for reporting and queries.
- Chat Tool – An external app that allows students and teachers to interact in real time.
- Microsoft Teams Meetings – Microsoft Teams Meetings allows customers with Microsoft accounts to create conference calls (meetings) using the Microsoft Teams integration with Canvas.
- New Analytics – A data tool visible in all courses. Data is refreshed in the New Analytics dashboard every 24 hours. Analytics evaluate individual components of a course and evaluate student performance.
- Quizzes 2 – An assessment engine that integrates with Canvas as an LTI tool and replaces the classic quizzes functionality currently existing in Canvas.
SYSTEM LEVEL INTEGRATIONS
- Adobe Creative Cloud Express – An app which builds on all the capabilities of Adobe Spark and allows instructors to make content in a way that’s simple, intuitive, and fast.
- Akindi – Akindi is a Scantron alternative that is integrated directly into Canvas and allows instructors to print and scan multiple choice test sheets using any printer and scanner.
- Badgr – Badgr is a platform for badge issuing, management, and tracking user achievements. Badgr is an Open Badges backpack provider, meaning it can store and manage badges issued from any Open Badges-compliant issuer on the web.
- Cengage Learning Mindlinks – Cengage MindTap is a cloud-based, interactive e-textbook utilizing interactive instructional materials, including homework, quizzes, readings, and more. MindTap Analytics also provides instructors with data on student and class-wide engagement within a course.
- Cengage OpenNow – Delivers curriculum-aligned OER content on an intuitive, outcomes-based platform. ($25 per student per course)
- Elsevier Evolve – Elsevier Evolve is an integrated, textbook that supports students in the Health Sciences. Some Elsevier Evolve products include adaptive learning to personalize education to learn faster and remember longer.
- Google Assignments – Instructors now have a faster, simpler way to distribute, analyze, and grade student work—all through the collaborative power of Google Suite for Education.
- GRLCONTENT (Great River Learning) – Enables instructors to create links to adopted GRL content to build their course.
- Hayden-McNeil – Instructors can incorporate Hayden-McNeil content and interactive capabilities to enhance learning. The interactive e-books include a variety of customization features for students and instructors. Instructors can rearrange chapters and add new pages, sections, and links. Features include a search engine, intuitive navigation tools, note-taking capabilities, and the ability to incorporate interactive exercises and assessments within the text.
- Khan Academy – Search for and embed Khan Academy videos into course material. Khan Academy focuses on short lessons on math, science, etc.
- LibApps – Integrate University Libraries’ research guide content into your courses.
- Macmillan Learning – Access Macmillian products from within Canvas including Sapling Learning, SaplingPlus, LaunchPad, Writer’s Help, iClicker, FlipIt, and Achieve Read & Practice.
- Materia – An application that allows instructors to easily embed engaging apps into their online courses. These learning apps – called widgets – can bring life to content modules, practice, study activities, and even assessments. They can include game mechanics, such as storytelling, competition, instant feedback, and instant reward systems.
- MATLAB Coding Problem – Create MATLAB coding problems and assessments.
- McGraw Hill Campus – McGraw Hill Campus integrates all your digital products from McGraw-Hill Education for quick and easy access to best-in-class content and learning tools.
- McGraw Hill Connect – McGraw-Hill Connect is a digital teaching and learning environment that saves students and instructors time while improving performance over a variety of critical outcomes.
- MERLOT – With MERLOT Search you can find high quality OER, peer reviewed materials. MERLOT is a curated collection of free and open online teaching, learning, and faculty development services contributed and used by an international education community. Use this app to search MERLOT by entering keywords.
- MyEducator – Allows instructors the ability to use MyEducator learning resources such as etextbook, pre-built, embedded assessments, and instructional videos. Students and instructors can highlight and take notes all from within the browser.
- Nearpod – An online tool that allows teachers to use slide-based teaching both in the classroom and remotely thanks to a hybrid layout. Teachers can create lots of different interactive learning resources that allow students to engage and learn via their device or a single screen in the room. It’s also possible to add in question points along the way and have the students take part as you go. Nearpod is also useful as a formative assessment tool and can output student efforts in easy-to-analyze graphs and charts for a clear snapshot of progress.
- Office365 – Increases productivity by making it easy to create, share, and collaborate on Office365 files within Canvas.
- Panopto Video – Lecture recording, screen casting, and video streaming.
- Pearson MyLab and Mastering – Delivers engaging and dynamic learning opportunities, focuses on instructor’s course objectives, and is responsive to each student’s progress that are proven to help students absorb course material and understand difficult concepts.
- Pearson Revel – Pearson Revel is a digital textbook that allows instructors to include their content. Revel is an interactive learning environment that seamlessly blends authors’ narrative, media, and assessment, enabling students to read, practice, and study in one continuous experience.
- Piazza – A question and answer platform with polling capabilities. It allows any user to post a question and all users to reply to collaborate to create an answer.
- Portfolium Folio Network – An electronic portfolio built to showcase the achievements, projects, and competencies of students to potential employers, serving as an expanded resume or CV. Users can organize learning artifacts, connect with other Portfolium users and curate content to help showcase your skills to potential employers.
- Redirect – Add links to external web resources that show up as navigation items in course menus. Whatever URL you specify is loaded within the content pane when users click the link.
- SAGE Vantage – An intuitive digital platform that blends trusted SAGE content with auto-graded assignments, all carefully designed to ignite student engagement and drive critical thinking.
- SCORM – The SCORM player allows instructors who have created multimedia presentation in iSpring Presenter, Lectora, Adobe Captivate or Articulate Storyline. The SCORM player will track user progress and pass interactions and grades to the gradebook.
- Secure Exam (Proctorio) – An automated, remote proctoring service. Proctorio enables instructors to utilize machine learning and facial detection technology to remotely proctor online assessment to help protect the academic integrity of test-takers.
- Slideshare – Creative Commons-licensed presentations.
- Studio – An interactive audio and video platform that allows students and instructors to upload their own media files to Canvas. Users can then engage with the media content by commenting directly on the timeline.
- TED Ed – Online instructional videos.
- Turning Technologies – Turning Technologies is an audience response system that utilizes either physical devices or mobile apps to make presentations more immersive with creative engaging interactive experiences. Instructors can ask a question, participants respond, and instructors can then share results that will increase engagement with a firm deeper learning.
- Twitter – Twitter is an online social networking service that enables users to send and read short 140-character messages called “tweets”. Registered users can read and post tweets, but those who are unregistered can only read them.
- Unicheck Plagiarism Checker – A web-based plagiarism and content checker that detects same or similar content in documents and webpages.
- USA Today – News articles from USA Today.
- Vimeo – Vimeo is a video sharing website on which users can upload, share, and view videos. The community of Vimeo includes indie, professional, and novice filmmakers. The Vimeo LTI tool lets users search for and embed videos into course content.
- VitalSource Bookshelf – Access your course materials on iPad, Android, Kindle, and Chromebook devices with VitalSource Bookshelf, the textbook e-reader that helps you read, study and learn brilliantly.
- W. W. Norton – W.W. Norton is an integrated, web-based textbook that includes an interactive digital textbook with resources. Instructors may create learning and assessment tools or use adaptive learning assessments to guide learning.
- WileyPLUS – An integrated, web-based textbook that includes an interactive digital textbook with resources to fit every learning style. Instructors can post assignments, score student work, keep grades, and more. Students can access the complete, online version of their text with study resources that address their specific needs, get instant feedback and context-sensitive help on their assignment, and track their progress throughout the course from your personal online gradebook.
- Yellowdig Engage – A tool designed to help students and instructors build collaborative learning communities via a social media and gamification-based discussion platform.
- YouTube – Search publicly available YouTube videos. The YouTube button is available to students and instructors in the Rich Content Editor.
- Zoom – Supports the ability to schedule/join/manage Zoom meetings within your Canvas course site to support distance learning, office hours, study groups and lecture capture.
- zyBooks – Interactive textbooks that support content animation, group work, and auto-grading.