About the Computer Upgrade Program
The Computer Upgrade Program (CUP) is a centrally funded program designed to upgrade the computer equipment for UT, Knoxville, faculty and staff once every four years. OIT works with Deans, Directors, and Department Heads to fulfill requests.
Eligible faculty and staff member may choose a computer from an approved list on the CUP website. This year’s standard configurations for Windows and Apple computers are high-powered machines with solid-state drives, I7 or M1 processors, and extended warranties with accident care.
Visit the Computer Upgrade Program page for additional information about this program
Frequently Asked Questions
- To be eligible for an upgrade, the machine you are using must have been purchased prior to July 1, 2018.
- Your department’s purchasing agent will let you know if you are eligible.
- Desktops and laptops must meet the recommended CUP configurations.
- Peripheral equipment (i.e., printers, scanners, second monitors) are not eligible.
- View all the eligibility requirements.
- Select a computer from those listed on the CUP website.
- Eligible faculty and staff will work with their college’s authorized purchasing agent to submit the request to the CUP Approval Committee.
- Note: your Department Head will review each CUP quote and approve any amount exceeding the maximum reimbursement for the type of computer selected. The Department is responsible for any amounts exceeding the maximum reimbursement amount.
- View the detailed Computer Selection Instructions.
If approved by the CUP Approval Committee, purchasing agents will begin placing in early March through the UT Marketplace. The last day to place CUP orders is April 22, 2022.
Visit the CUP website for detailed instructions regarding reimbursement. All reimbursement requests must be received by June 10, 2022.
- January 28, 2022: College coordinator to submit Purchasing Agent (PA) information to OIT
- February 11, 2022: Deadline to submit CUP request spreadsheet to the Dean’s Office
- February 25, 2022: Deadline to submit all CUP request spreadsheets to Mona Hernandez, OIT Business Manager
- March 18, 2022: Approved CUP spreadsheets to be sent out to departments; PA’s may begin purchasing when approved spreadsheets are received
- March 25, 2022: Deadline to appeal to Budget and Finance
- April 4, 2022: Last day to purchase approved CUP equipment
- June 10, 2022: Last date to submit reimbursement information to Mona Hernandez, OIT Business Manager