While we may be taking a break from school (and work) during Fall Break, the bad guys are hard at work. Here are a few tips to help you stay safe online.
- Be wary of emails with a sense of urgency requesting you take immediate action before returning to campus. Contact the sending department by phone or the OIT HelpDesk for verification.
- Connect to Eduroam for secure wireless access at many worldwide institutions. Learn more about Eduroam.
- Don’t do anything via public WiFi that you wouldn’t want an eavesdropper to know — including logging into accounts with passwords. Use public WiFi for topics of conversation you would happily discuss in public.
- Connect to UT’s virtual private network (VPN) to access UT resources securely, such as your pay statement or MyUTK.
- Don’t let your device connect to public WiFi spots automatically.
- Check with the establishment you’re at to ensure the network you log onto is theirs and not one a snoop has set up to trick you.
For more tips on protecting your UT account, check out the OIT website.