While we may be taking a break from school (and work) over the holidays, the bad guys are hard at work. Here are a few tips to help you stay safe online.
- Be wary of emails with a sense of urgency requesting you take immediate action before returning to campus. Contact the sending department or the OIT HelpDesk for verification.
- Connect to Eduroam for secure wireless access at many world-wide institutions. Learn more about Eduroam.
- Don’t do anything via public WiFi that you wouldn’t want an eavesdropper to know — including logging into accounts with passwords. Use public WiFi for topics of conversation you would happily discuss in public.
- Connect to UT’s virtual private network (VPN) to access UT resources securely, such as your pay statement or MyUTK.
- Don’t let your device connect to public WiFi spots automatically
- Delete out the WiFi access points you’ve used when you arrive home.
- Check with the establishment you’re at to make sure the network you log onto is theirs, and not one a snoop has set up to trick you
For more tips on protecting your UT account, check out the OIT website.