As the semester comes to a close, consider the following helpful tips for your Canvas course sites. All tips are optional and should be based on your preferences.
Download Gradebook scores for your records.
We set the course end dates for all UTK Canvas courses as two weeks after grades have been submitted. On the end date, (a) the course status changes to Read-Only and (b) the course will move off your Canvas Dashboard and into your Past Enrollments. Students retain access to the course and its contents but will be unable to participate (submit assignments, post discussions, etc.) after the end date.
Do not CONCLUDE the course or RESET the course content
LIMIT CONTENT AVAILABILITY
- Course Files – limit what content is available after the semester ends
- Unpublish Modules or individual content
- Move files to a folder and lock the folder
- Edit Quiz Settings – If you plan to reuse quizzes, you may want to uncheck Let Students See Their Quiz Responses
- Hide the Course Navigation link to the content (Quizzes, Files, Assignments, etc.)
- Restrict students from viewing course after end date
- What worked well in the course? What did not work as planned?
- What technical difficulties did I or my students have?
- What areas of the course would I like to improve?
- What content or activities would I like to add?
PREPARE FOR NEXT SEMESTER
Your Spring 2020 Courses. They are already in Canvas.
Combine course sections. If you are teaching more than one section of the course, you might consider merging sections into one Canvas course. Do not publish your courses before combining the sections.
Copy the content from previous semesters’ courses to your Spring 2020 courses or build the courses from scratch.
Schedule time to work on the course to make improvements. Take advantage of OIT’s Instructional Support group’s instructional designers, media production, and graphic artists to improve your course.
If you have questions or would like additional guidance, please do not hesitate to contact the OIT HelpDesk online or by phone at 865-974-9900.