To request any of the following OIT services, contact the HelpDesk online at help.utk.edu or by phone at (865) 974-9900.
A quick timeline
1 MONTH: Find the Right Room
1 MONTH: Reserve the Room
1 MONTH: Request Services
2 WEEK: Request Training on the classroom technology
DAY OF EVENT!
T-Minus 1 Month
Find the right room. What technologies are available by location?
- Search the Classroom Search Database
- OIT supports campus-hosted classrooms. Campus-hosted classrooms have the label Instruct-Class next to the room. Non-campus-hosted rooms are supported by the associated department.
Reserve the room – Go to Ad Astra
- Check the room availability
- Reserve a time to check out the room prior to the event
- Reserve the event time
- Submit an OIT Help Request to discuss your event needs
- Contact your departmental IT manager to inquire about adapters and other support available to you
Zoom is the UTK supported software used to deliver live, interactive classes and meetings via the Internet.
Webcasting is a for-fee, staffed, video recording service that allows you to live-stream and preserve a recording of the presentation.
Wireless internet access – required if your speaker will need to internet access
Microphones and Mic Stands
- If you need a microphone that is not provided in the classroom, contact Facilities Services
- If you are checking out microphones from Facilities Services, contact OIT for help setting up the channel on the microphone to work with the audio in the room
- Review the wireless network and radio frequency policies
Survey Software is available if you plan to collect information prior to or during the event? Learn more about web survey tools
T-Minus 2 Weeks
Ask Your Speaker what laptop they will use to present
Request Training for technology-enhanced classrooms prior to your event
- Look for available workshops at workshop.utk.edu. Drop-in training is available at scheduled times and locations at the beginning of each semester.
- Contact the OIT HelpDesk to request a one-on-one training session.
- Check out our classroom support help guides
Test out the room
T-Minus 0 – Day of the Event!
Have an alternate laptop and a back up of the presentation slides
- Back up the presentation
- Save it to the hard drive of the computer
- Have another laptop available in case the presenter laptop fails
Communication and Information Sharing
Share documents with those external to UTK by using the available apps within Office 365 and the Google Office Suite. Learn what tools are available.
Personal Response system
- Available at no additional cost for faculty, staff, and students with NetID and password
- You may request temporary licenses for Turning Point mobile response if your audience is not associated with UTK
- Learn more about how to use clickers
Support for the physical location
- For departmental technology support, ask your departmental administrator if you have a technical support staff member assigned to support your department. Gather name and contact information to learn how and when they are available to support and train you in that particular space.
- A minimum of two weeks prior to the event, request training on how to use the podium and display software. This will require access to the room and a scheduled time to meet with an OIT trainer.
- For in-person support for room testing prior to the event and for assistance or help with room-set up for campus-hosted rooms, contact the HelpDesk to check on availability and inquire about any costs associated with the service.
- For wireless access issue that may arise, contact the HelpDesk
- Check for upcoming outages or day-of issues on the IT System Status Center
- On the day of the event, OIT’s ITES can be solicited to help with any podium equipment that is offline, bulbs, projectors won’t startup. For immediate classroom assistance call 865-974-9110. If the problem cannot be fixed over the phone, a technician will be dispatched to your location.
What is not an OIT service
- OIT does not loan out laptops, cameras, microphones. You can borrow much of this equipment from The Studio in Hodges Library.
- Any meeting spaces that are non-campus-hosted some buildings on campus including Howard Baker Center, The Student Union, or the UT Conference Center, JIAM, Hodges Library, Haslam College of Business.
- Mics and Mic stand, if not listed in AdAstra, need to be requested by facilities services.
- If you require customized branding of your event website, outside the UT-approved look and feel, contact The Office of Communications and Marketing.