The Network Services (NS) team of the Office of Information Technology (OIT) at the University of Tennessee Knoxville (UTK) is seeking applicants for an Information Technology (IT) Administrator I position. The OIT Network Services team operates network resources (routers, switches, firewalls, wireless) and provides support to the University through supporting the administrative and academic objectives of the University. This position will work with OIT NS in supporting, maintaining, securing, and operating network infrastructure. Under the guidance of the Assistant Director, OIT Communications, this student will work with NS Team members that manage the University’s network infrastructure (wired and wireless). The student will also work with external stakeholders to accomplish objectives of the NS Team.
Major Duties / Responsibilities
The responsibilities of the Assistant Network Administrator include but is not limited to coordinate the support and maintenance of networking resources (switches, wireless access points, structured network cabling); assist with the administration of general campus networking requirements (wired and wireless) in a backup role to other team members; assist with general network troubleshooting and infrastructure improvement efforts. Design, test, deploy, and lead small scope projects under the direction of senior staff.
· Undergraduate or graduate student in a scientific, technology, engineering, or mathematics discipline
· Basic working knowledge of networking concepts: OSI model, WAN/LAN, and TCP/IP.
· Basic working knowledge of network hardware: access switches, wireless access points, and network cabling.
· The ability to work independently as well as part of a team
· The ability to prioritize individual assignments and effectively manage their time
· Possess an active interest in learning and developing technical knowledge of network administrator duties, concepts, technologies
· General knowledge of wireless networking concepts and technologies
· Basic knowledge of script writing
· Experience/use of Microsoft productivity tools such as Teams, Office, and OneDrive
Point of Contact
Qualified applicants should contact Gary Pickens, Assistant Director OIT Communications, via email at email@example.com and provide a resume and cover letter.