If you experience difficulty with Technology Enhanced Classroom equipment, contact the HelpDesk at 865-974-9900, or consult the following tips for possible solutions:
PowerPoint 2011, 2013, and 2016 extends your desktop without telling you. This causes many issues.
Check out these Knowledge Base articles.
- How to make my Mac mirror my PowerPoint slides by default
- My PowerPoint presentation on my Mac is not displaying properly on the projector
- Video on my PowerPoint is not playing correctly
- Make sure the laptop is connected to the VGA or HDMI port on the connection plate.
- If the projector was recently turned off, wait 2 minutes before trying to turn it back on.
- If you are trying to project from your laptop, and the image is on the laptop but not on the screen, or vice versa, hold down the Fn key and press F8 on Dell (or appropriate key on other laptops). Also make sure the Laptop is selected as the projection device (on control panel in most classrooms)
- Resolution – You may need to adjust the resolution on your laptop to fit the screen. To adjust the resolution on a PC, right-click anywhere on the desktop and left-click on “Display Settings” in the menu. Choose a resolution that is lower than what you’re currently set to. Example: 1024×768. If that looks good, choose “Keep Changes.” Don’t forget to put it back to your original resolution at the end of class.
- Many computers will need an adapter to connect. These can be purchased from the Voltech Shop .
- Make sure the AMX panel is selected to document camera.
- Make sure no one has disconnected either the video or power cable on the back of the document camera.
General Audio Issues
- If there is no audio, make sure that the audio cable is connected. (if using VGA)
- Make sure that the audio is not muted from your computer.
- Make sure the proper output for audio is selected on your computer.
- Try muting then unmuting the sound from the AMX panel. You may need to also turn the sound up after unmuting.
- If there is no audio, make sure that the wireless microphone is turned on.
- If there is insufficient volume through the wireless microphone, turn up the sound on the wireless microphone volume bar at the control panel.
- Check the battery of the wireless microphone, if the warning light is red or no light at all when turned, change the battery.
- Note that when connecting via VGA, the AMX panel option will often be called “laptop.”
- When connecting using HDMI, choose either HDMI1 or HDMI2 based on the label that the cable is plugged into. If there is no label, the top option will be #1.
- In many rooms, you can select different outputs for different screens. Under each screen, choose the option you wish to select.
- Watch a video on the basic set up of AMX Panels (download transcript PDF here)
- Still have questions? Watch this video for some other common issues with AMX Panels (download transcript PDF here)