If you experience difficulty with Technology Enhanced Classroom equipment, contact the HelpDesk at 865-974-9900, or consult the following tips for possible solutions:
PowerPoint issues on both Mac and Windows computers are the number 1 problem most instructors see.
PowerPoint 2011, 2013, and 2016 extends your desktop without telling you. This causes many issues.
If you want to play video:
- Extend your desktop prior to presenting your PowerPoint. Then, move your browser window over to the projector screen. Video links will now display on the projector, rather than on your computer screen.
- If you have an embedded video and the PowerPoint is in Presenter View, clicking the video when the mouse is on your laptop screen will act as a mouse click to go to the next slide. To get the video to play, duplicate your view, so that you see the same thing on your laptop as students see on the projector. Or, if you prefer to keep Presenter View on, remember you will need to move your mouse pointer over to the projector screen to click the video from there.
If your projector screen is stretched, squished, or upside down:
Because PowerPoint extends your desktop and then puts it back the way it was when PowerPoint stops, many do not realize that the screen on the projector is “extended.”
You’ll need to adjust the resolution on your extended screen.
- Close PowerPoint
- Extend your desktop.
- Then, try adjusting your screen resolution on your computer for the second monitor.
- Basic Classrooms – If all of the lights are lit up on the control panel, unplug the lectern from the wall and reconnect it.
- Make sure the laptop is connected to the VGA or HDMI port on the connection plate.
- If the projector was recently turned off, wait 2 minutes before trying to turn it back on.
- If you are trying to project from your laptop, and the image is on the laptop but not on the screen, or vice versa, hold down the Fn key and press F8 on Dell (or appropriate key on other laptops). Also make sure the Laptop is selected as the projection device (on control panel in most classrooms)
- Resolution – for best results, set your computer’s resolution to XGA (1024×768). To adjust the resolution on a PC, right-click anywhere on the desktop and left-click on “Properties” in the menu. In the panel that appears, click on the “Settings” tab and look for the section titled “Screen Area.” Select 1024×768 and click “Apply.” Acknowledge any messages you get asking if you want to keep the display at this setting.
- If the power button is on but the projector does not come on, press the power button again (even though the light is on). If that fails, look at the projector. There are four lights on the front (facing you). From left to right, they are: Replace Lamp, Warning Temperature, Ready, and Lamp. If the Replace Lamp or Warning Temperature lights are on, call technical support at 4-9110.
- Many computers will need an adapter. These can be purchased from the Voltech Shop .
- If there is no audio, make sure that the audio cable is connected. (if using VGA)
- Make sure that the audio is not muted from your computer.
- Make sure the proper output for audio is selected on your computer.
- Try muting then unmuting the sound from the AMX panel. You may need to also turn the sound up after unmuting.
- Make sure the document camera is connected to the connection plate; connect it using a VGA cable to the “Document Camera” port.
- Make sure the AMX panel is selected to document camera.
- If there is no audio, make sure that the wireless microphone is turned on.
- If there is insufficient volume through the wireless microphone, turn up the sound on the wireless microphone volume bar at the control panel.
- Check the battery of the wireless microphone, if the warning light is red or no light at all when turned, change the battery.
- Note that when connecting via VGA, the AMX panel option will often be laptop. When connecting using HDMI, choose either HDMI1 or HDMI2 based on the label on the cable you’re using.
- In many rooms, you can select different outputs for different screens. Under each screen, choose the option you wish to select.