What is Respondus LockDown Browser?
Respondus LockDown Browser is a locked browser for taking assessments such as tests, quizzes or exams in Online@UT (Canvas) course sites. It prevents you from printing, copying, going to another URL, or accessing other applications during an assessment. If an Online@UT (Canvas) course site assessment requires that Respondus LockDown Browser be used, you will not be able to take the assessment with a standard web browser.
LockDown Browser should only be used for taking Online@UT (Canvas) assessments. It should not be used to access other areas within Online@UT (Canvas).
Installing LockDown Browser
On campus, LockDown Browser has been installed in the computer labs. If you are on another computer on campus or at home you will need to install the LockDown Browser to each computer (Windows or Mac) being used to take an assessment.
If you are not in a lab at UT where the browser is installed, you will need to download and install the browser from: http://www.respondus.com/lockdown/download.php?id=645740725. This URL is unique to the University of Tennessee, Knoxville. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the install.
Taking a Test
You must have installed the browser first or be at a university computer with it installed. You cannot use another browser for a lockdown required assessment. If you attempt to start the assessment with a browser other than LockDown Browser, you will see a message like the one below and you will need to exit the browser and open the LockDown Browser instead.
- On a PC, locate the “LockDown Browser” shortcut on the desktop and double-click it. For Mac users, launch “LockDown Browser” from the Applications folder.
- If prompted to close a blocked program (e.g. screen capture, instant messaging) choose Yes when prompted.
- Login to the Online@UT (Canvas) course where the assessment is located.
- Locate the assessment and select it. If your instructor does not require the use of a webcam, the assessment will immediately begin. You won’t be able to print, copy, access other applications or go to websites during the assessment.
- If you are required to use a webcam to record yourself during the test, a Startup Sequence will guide the you through a webcam check and other items required by the instructor.
- If the instructor requires a password for the assessment, a new window will appear asking for the assessment Password. Enter the password and click Begin Exam.
The assessment will then start. (Note: If the instructor settings permit a student to close the browser during an exam for emergency purposes, you will be prompted to enter a reason for exiting early. The reason is displayed to the instructor in the LockDown Browser Dashboard.)
Best Practice – Prior to the first test, you may complete a practice assessment that uses LockDown Browser to make sure you have installed it correctly. Check with your instructor to see if there is a practice assessment available.
Webcam Required for Test
You may be required to use LockDown Browser with a webcam, which will record you during an online, nonproctored exam. The webcam feature is sometimes referred to as “Respondus Monitor.” Your computer must have a functioning webcam and microphone. Mac users must have Adobe Flash Player installed to Safari, even if a different browser is normally used. Flash can be obtained from https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/. Choose Safari/Firefox and Mac OS. A broadband connection is also required. It is best if you are on a wired connection. If an exam requires LockDown Browser and a webcam, follow steps 1-5 in the previous “Taking A Test” section. At this point the Startup Sequence for the webcam begins.
- The Webcam Check will confirm that your webcam and microphone are working properly. The first time the Webcam Check is performed on a computer, Adobe Flash Player will require you to select Allow and Remember.
- The remaining steps of the Startup Sequence will depend on settings chosen by your instructor. Follow the instructions and note your progress along the top of the screen.
- If you encounter a problem, select the It’s not working link. This link will open a window in which you can search for a solution and troubleshoot the issue. You can also contact the OIT HelpDesk at 865-974-9900 or submit a help ticket online at http://help.utk.edu for assistance.
The assessment will begin after the Startup Sequence is complete. You cannot exit LockDown Browser until the test is submitted for grading.