On Monday, Jan. 4, 2021, OIT will be moving to Panopto, a lecture capture platform that houses lecture recordings, digitized films for coursework, and other course-related videos used for instruction. Mediasite, the current lecture capture platform, will be retired at the end of 2020. Panopto is a user-friendly platform that greatly improves video recording and delivery for lectures and interfaces directly with Canvas and Zoom. Online and in-person training are coming soon.
For any questions regarding the switch to Panopto from Mediasite, please contact the OIT HelpDesk online or by calling 865-974-9900.
For more information, go to our Panopto web page.
What will change?
- Users can record video, share screens and slides from a browser-based recorder or desktop recording software and easily upload recordings to Canvas or download directly to their computer.
- Zoom recordings can be automatically ingested into Panopto upon completion if desired.
- Users will be able to manage their content directly within Canvas. A Panopto button will be visible within Canvas starting Dec. 14, 2020.
What do you need to do?
- Faculty and staff: complete Panopto training before the start of classes Jan. 20, 2021.
- All of your old Mediasite video content will now be hosted on Panopto – everything will be migrated for you before the launch. You don’t need to migrate anything.
- Any Mediasite links supplied in coursework or on a website need to be replaced with new Panopto links. Please check your course and web content for Mediasite links. If they need to be replaced, please contact the OIT HelpDesk online or by calling 865-974-9900 and note you need new Mediasite content links for Panopto.