In spring of 2018, after consultations with faculty, OIT evaluated options for classroom response software. UTK extended a Request for Proposal (RFP) which resulted in responses from three vendors. After much deliberation, the decision was to remain with Turning Technologies. One significant change, however, is the move to Enterprise Licensing for all students at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville. By funding an enterprise agreement with the technology fee, all students will have a license for classroom response software that they can use with their smartphone, tablet, or clicker device. Students who are required by faculty to use a separate clicker device for class participation will still have to purchase the device from the bookstore, but all student subscriptions (personal device or separate clicker) will be covered by the existing Technology Fee.
What does the Enterprise License mean for faculty?
Have you been hesitant about including clickers in your course due to the added cost that students would incur? Did you want to get responses from students occasionally, but not often enough to warrant requiring your students to purchase a license and device?
Starting with the Fall 2018 semester, all students will have a license they can use on their iOS or Android phone or tablet, and you can decide to use the TurningPoint app in your class any time. Use it for a quick check to make sure students understand the day’s topic or a scheduled quiz. It’s up to you!
What are the new features?
- Single Sign-on for faculty and students
- Faculty and students will log in with their UT NetID and password and will not be required to create another username and password.
- Single Sign-on eliminates the duplicate student account creation that has caused issues with student grades.
- Enterprise Licensing
- All students will receive a Turning Technologies license purchased with Technology Fee funds.
- Faculty can use the features of Turning Technologies’ TurningPoint software without adding any additional cost to the students when using the mobile app.
- Students do not need to purchase a clicker unless the instructor requires it.
- Do you want to get started with clickers or take those interactive questions to the next level? Watch for our training workshops coming this summer or ask for a consultation with one of our instructional designers to talk about how you can use clickers for formative assessment. To get started, contact the OIT HelpDesk online or by phone at 865-974-9900.