You can easily create a narrated slide presentation using the voice-over feature in PowerPoint for Windows and in Keynote for Mac. The recorded voice narration will allow you to add human touch to your online presentation and supplement the slides with additional information such as definitions, facts, and examples.
- Booktalking, Dr. Cindy Welch, the University of Tennessee.
- PPT– a PowerPoint file that keeps the embedded narration after you upload the file to a course site. However, the size of a PowerPoint file significantly increases with the added narration. This format is not recommended if the file size exceeds 50 Mb.
- Video – m4v, mov, wmv, swf – You may turn your narrated slide presentation into a video using the software built-in converting features and third-party applications. For example, PowerPoint 2010 can save the presentation as a video in the .wmv file format. For a large size video, further conversion is recommended using a third-party converter.
Self-Paced Online Tutorials
These learning guides (PDF format) will walk you through the steps of creating a narrated presentation:
- Copy Free Multimedia Guide
- In a Nutshell: For Better Presentations
- YouTube Guide
- OIT offers an instructor-focused workshop: PowerPoint with Voiceover: Developing Narrated Presentations on a Windows PC. Register for the workshop at the OIT’s Training page.
- For an individual consultation on PowerPoint with voiceover for Mac and Windows, instructors, please request a meeting through the OIT HelpDesk, phone 865-974-9900.
- MS Office Online Training offered through OIT
- MS Office Help and Training website
- Search YouTube for PowerPoint video tutorials.