Are you ready to learn both the technology and job skills that will result in impressive career credentials? Want to make a difference for students and faculty? Are you committed to providing outstanding customer service and support? Apply now to join the START Program Team. Get STARTed learning new skills. Get STARTed earning extra cash.
The Student Technology Assistants for Research and Teaching (START) team assists faculty with the creation of computer-based materials and provides technical support to enhance courses taught on the Knoxville campus of The University of Tennessee.
START Team members will receive comprehensive training to include the use of a variety of software packages, the principles of good design, the principles of creating course materials that are accessible to those with disabilities, as well as communication, consultation, and project management skills. START Team members will also become proficient in the use of technologies present in the technology-enhanced classrooms throughout campus.
- Reliable and self-disciplined
- Good time management skills
- Commitment to outstanding customer service
- Excellent communication skills
- Commitment to teamwork
- Comfort interacting with faculty
- Basic to advanced computer skills
- Eagerness to learn skills relevant to computer applications used in creating course materials (e.g. Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Flash, HTML, PowerPoint, Acrobat, Photoshop, and others)
- Ability to work in 4-hour blocks of time
START positions require a minimum employment commitment of one (1) academic year. Candidates must be in good academic standing with the University, which includes enrolling in at least 9 credit hours. Candidates should have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 at the time of application. Candidates are also required to be in good disciplinary standing with the University.
Applications will be accepted on a continuing basis. Interviews and hiring decisions will be made based upon program needs.