iTunes U is a free hosted service for colleges and universities that provides easy access to educational content, including lectures and interviews, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Content can be downloaded to Macs and PCs; then it can be listened to, viewed, or transferred to a mobile device. Instructors can create content for a course by recording lectures, developing assignments, and creating videos and podcasts.
UTK maintains two iTunes U sites: public and private. Content posted to the public site is available to the general public. Anyone with an internet connection and iTunes installed on their computer can listen and/or download podcasts stored here. Content on the private site is restricted to students, faculty, and staff with a valid UT NetID and password.
More than 1000 colleges and universities, as well as K12-focused and cultural institutions from around the world, have active iTunes U sites. About half of these institutions distribute their content publicly on the iTunes Store.
Among many other tasks, instructors use iTunes U to:
- instruct students on how to use an application
- deliver an overview of a course website or course syllabus
- deliver a personal introduction
- deliver a min-lecture or guest lecture
- present a case study or lab demonstration
- distribute student video projects
Explore course materials stored on UTK on iTunes U. Follow the View in iTunes links. If prompted, open the iTunes application.
Explore other public course materials stored on iTunes U:
- The Open University course materials
- Arizona State University educational materials
- UC Berkeley educational materials.
- Download and install iTunes. Before the installation, review system requirements on the download page.
- Read the overview on the differences between a Public and Private iTunes U site; then decide which will work best for you.
- Request an iTunes U collection. You will be contacted by a member of the iTunes U support team within 48 hours of your request.
- Review online learning materials:
- iTunes Support from Apple.com.
- Apple’s iTunes U User’s Guide for Private Site.
- Creating a Podcast with GarageBand, a recording application for the Mac.