Canvas (created by Instructure) is an online learning management system that offers an easy user interface; simple content and media management; ePortfolios; an enhanced mobile experience; attendance tracking; robust learning analytics, and more.
Below is a list of sample Canvas features that support instructors and students in the class.
Communication and Collaboration
- Communicate course information to students via Announcements and Conversations.
- Communicate in real-time via the Chat and Conference tools. Note: We recommend Zoom as a better quality video and audio web conferencing tool.
- Create and participate in asynchronous discussions.
- Form groups where students can work together on group projects and assignments.
- Co-create web pages in group assignments.
- Communicate and collaborate beyond the class boundaries using the third-party web and mobile applications.
Course Content Creation and Management
- Organize course content to create stand-alone learning modules. Each module may contain, for example, a mini-lecture, videos, practice quizzes, additional readings, and graded assignments.
- Integrate media-rich course content into modules, including media from third-party applications, such as YouTube, TED, Khan Academy, and lynda.com.
- Set learning module completion requirements.
- Upload and manage files through the easy drag-and-drop feature.
- Create practice quizzes, tests, online submission assignments, and anonymous surveys.
- Use the Rubric tool for performance-based assessments.
- Grade online easily, for example, annotate papers online, and provide feedback on a test.
- Create and grade groups assignments.
- Have a comprehensive overview of all classes and notifications about class activities.
- Display the course calendar in the preferred personal calendar, such as Outlook and Google Calendar.
- Sync the due dates in Calendar, Syllabus, Assignments, and Grades.
- Track and manage student performance using Course Analytics.
- Student View allows you to see and interact in your course as a student.
Getting Started with Canvas
Canvas Instructor Guide: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-4131
Canvas Faculty Tour (Duration is provided in parentheses):
- Canvas Tutorial Series for Faculty — a series of short step-by-step videos about how to use the Canvas learning management system (LMS).
- Canvas Interface Overview (3:56)
- Files — Add Course Content (3:09)
- Communication Overview (3:00)
- Assignments Overview (3:12)
- Assignment Creation (4:08)
- Discussion Creation (3:11)
- Quiz Creation — Settings (3:43)
- Quiz Creation — Questions (3:19)
- Announcements Overview (2:25)
- Pages — Creation and Management (3:00)
- Course Layout — Customization (3:04)
- Modules — Creation and Management (2:41)
- Grades Overview (2:52)
- SpeedGrader™ Overview (1:47)
- Group Creation and Management for Instructors (4:00)
- Course Import Tool (6:18)
- Calendar Overview (4:09)
- Syllabus Overview (2:46)
- Chat Overview (1:58)
- People Overview (3:46)
- Course Analytics (6:06)
- Conferences Overview (5:09)
- Collaborations Overview (2:56)
Search the Canvas Guides
Find answers to common questions
Work through the online tutorial – Canvas Training for Faculty